Successful completion of all three stages of the NSS course leads to certification of completion of the NSS course (‘NSS certification’).
The National Safe Sedation (NSS) course was established in response to the publication of
‘Safe Sedation Practice for Healthcare Procedures. Standards and Guidance.’
Academy of Medical Royal Colleges. October 2013
Subsequently endorsed by, ‘Safe sedation practice for healthcare procedures. An update.’
Academy of Medical Royal Colleges. February 2021.
The Executive Summary of this publication highlighted that:
- research and audit have identified continued avoidable morbidity and mortality from sedation
- the single most common recurring theme resulting from avoidable morbidity and mortality from sedation is the lack of formal training for the appropriate administration of sedative drugs and prompt recognition and treatment of sedation-related complications
- the safety of sedation practice can only be improved through the insistence of formal accredited competency-based training for all healthcare workers using sedation
- it is the responsibility of all disciplines using sedation techniques to ensure that their trainees receive accredited training in sedation to a clearly defined national standard
- those continuing to be actively involved in administering sedation must be able to demonstrate continued competency through maintenance of an appropriate level of experience, and ongoing participation in relevant life-long learning/CPD programmes, now necessary for revalidation
The NSS course was set up with the support of the Royal College of Anaesthetists (RCoA).
The development of this website and the e-learning have been made possible by the generous support of Sir Simon Robey.
The NSS course is non-profit-making and is now managed independently of the RCoA. The RCoA continue to approve Stage 2 of the course for CPD (Stages 1 and 3 of the course are eligible for self‑directed learning).
The NSS course is open to all healthcare professionals whose work involves the provision of conscious sedation.
Comments from previous courses
“Really excellent course - learned more than I thought I would”
“Will help me to improve standards of safe sedation practice in my own Trust where previously my voice may not have been heard”
“Very good. It was pitched at the right level and covered the most important areas”
“Comprehensive and well-targeted”
“Thorough and meticulous; excellent for consolidating existing competencies”
“Very informative. Made me more mindful about every step when sedating”
“Very informative. Every detail discussed. All are relevant. I feel confident now with conscious sedation”
“Very thorough & useful guide with lots of learning points”
“Overall excellent course. Opened up a lot of thoughts about our own practice & things that we could change”
“Excellent content, detail and delivery”
“An excellent course as a whole. Thank you”
“Very empowering; facilitates confidence in providing safe conscious sedation”
“Excellent team. Very engaging. Timely reminder that we’re here to keep patients safe”
“An eye-opener. I genuinely believe I can practice safer now”
“Very good. I’d like our consultants to attend”
“Very useful and highly recommended”
“Well presented and very informative”
“The course is very informative and useful in our department”
“Overall I thought the course was excellent”
“Very interesting and eye-opening”
Enter your email address or username and we’ll send you instructions to reset your password.
You’re now logged in!
If you’ve just registered with us please check your email for your password.
Need help with registering for a course?
get in touch >